Q. Why does our business model work best?
A. We have managed the business for 14 years and the following characteristics make our model superior to all others in our market:
- Responding to customer’s and prospective customer’s calls immediately upon hearing from them
- Allowing them to schedule an appointment online or over the phone and always showing up on time
- State-of-the-art enabling technology available to you and your customer via the PC, PDA or mobile phone
- Focusing on smaller territories, with targeted segmentation at the neighborhood level thereby enabling top of the mind visibility and the opportunity to capture a larger percentage of household spend and is the basis for the tag line “In Your Neighborhood”
- Proven model that leverages your business management and sales skills supported by our team of remodelers to deliver the highest quality service to the customer. This enables you to take on larger revenue jobs with little to no risk and attain the highest ROI in the least amount of time
- Positioning as the highest quality solution at fixed prices that are never the cheapest or the most expensive – reinforced by presentation of professional competence where the homeowner relates to the company in their own image and in their own language
- Adherence to 100% satisfaction standards that results in 100% referencibility
Q. Do I need a construction background or have to work with my hands in order to be approved for a franchise?
A. No. We teach all our owners to work ON the business, not IN the business. As a Handy@Home®– The The Remodel Place® franchise you focus on management, marketing, and networking while your employees (handymen) and our expert remodelers are responsible for delivering the outcomes that you sell. We teach you the project management skills supported by our operating model to drive success in delivered outcome and profitability.
Q. Can I offer just handyman services or remodeling services to start?
A. Depending on your knowledge of the trades you can begin with either assuming you are operating in a market where we have the experienced remodeler network. If not then you will need to begin operating the Handy@Home® model first and then graduate to The Remodel Place® model after 12 full months of operation. However, in either case, your franchise gives you access to BOTH models.
Q. How much does it cost to open a Handy@Home® – The Remodel Place® franchise?
A. The total investment necessary to begin operation of a Handy@Home® Franchised Business is $58,000 to $129,000. This includes between $30,000 and $80,000 that must be paid to franchisor and its affiliates. The total investment necessary to begin operation of a Handy@Home Franchised Business and Franchised Business and an Area Development is $83,000 to $232,000. This includes between $55,000 and $130,000 that must be paid to franchisor and its affiliates.
Q. Can I run my Handy@Home® – The Remodel Place® business out of my home and does it have to be full-time?
A. YES. It’s the franchises choice to start their business out of their home and then move into a small office space later if so desired. Keep in mind, you deliver your service at the customer’s home, not your office. Regarding full-time or part-time we require that you meet a certain annual revenue threshold over a pre-determined time frame. Whether you accomplish this full-time or part-time is at your discretion. We operated our initial territory for years as a part-time venture and averaged over $300,000 per year doing it. It’s your choice.
Q. I have aggressive goals for my business. What about territory expansion or other opportunities?
A. We understand the goals and ambitions of franchise buyers and encourage expansion. However, we do not offer “first rights of refusal” on additional franchise territories and we do require a certain amount of financial and operational success before awarding any new agreements within our multi-ownership system.
Q. Do I need a license in my state?
A. Each state has its own rules and regulations when it comes to construction licensing. Some of the more strict licensing states when it comes to construction are Florida, California, Nevada, Maryland, Georgia, Utah, Arizona and New Jersey. Your own investigation process should focus on these requirements and consulting with your own legal counsel is recommended.
Q. What type of training and on-going support can I expect?
A. We provide the Fast Start Program conducted at your place of operation which includes the basic activities needed to start revenuing quickly. The components are:
- Initial Activities
- Costing, Pricing, Risk Management
- Financial Accounting and Reporting
- Proposal Preparation
- Working with Suppliers and Subcontractors
- Marketing to Neighborhood, Household and Affiliates
- Lead Generation
- Managing the Customer
The Fast Start Up training component of the program is conducted at the franchise’s location over a 2-day time period (note costs for additional days on-site).
The remaining program component training support is provided at the company’s offices for up to 3 business days. Additional days training is available for $500 per day. All travel and living expenses are billed to the franchise at cost plus a 10% administration fee.
The extended program (described below) is available at your own pace and is delivered through our comprehensive computer based instruction vehicle eToolkit©. This capability has a succession of programs that instruct and test allowing the franchise to train initially and then ongoing as the need requires.